It’s been a while since I’ve posted something, and what better way to reconnect with you, than by sharing a delicious winter warming banana bread recipe.
Although I love my comforting foods, I still like to keep them gluten-free and sugar-free to the best of my abilities. It doesn’t need to be filled with processed sugar and copious amounts of white flour to make it feel like a treat. In fact, I bet if you make this for your friends and family, they won’t know that it’s a healthy banana bread, cause it tastes that good!
In fact I’ve called upon the almighty spelt flour for this recipe, because not only do I find the nutty flavour to enhance the recipe, but spelt flour has 20% more protein, 65% more amino acids and extra fibre than the inferior processed white alternative.
Feel free to use whatever flour alternative you would like to use, but make sure that if you use coconut flour to try and balance the wet ingredients, as coconut flour is known to absorb liquid, and could end up being very dry in this recipe.
If you’re like me and love to be super organised with your meals, then this is a great little afternoon tea snack to whip up on a Sunday, cut up and freeze for the week in portions.
So here it is, the ever delicious and nutritious Spelt Banana Bread Recipe:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 large organic free-range eggs
- 1 cup 2 Tbsp organic spelt flour
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw nuts (I chose a mix of almonds and macadamias)
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt (any natural salt)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tsp aluminium free baking-powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 banana for decoration on top
- Half a handful of nuts chopped for the top
1. Preheat oven to 170ºC (340ºF)
2. Grease a loaf tin with a little bit of coconut oil, or use a silicon loaf tin (so much easier!)
3. Mash up the bananas and whisk together with the eggs until a smooth and glossy consistency forms. (I cheated and threw the eggs and bananas into my nutribullet and whizzed it for 30 seconds)
4. Add coconut oil, lemon juice and honey to the banana/egg mixture and combine.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the mixture.
6. Chop up the nuts and fold them into the mixture.
7. Place the mixture into the tin (if you’re feeling fancy pants and want to add sliced banana and nuts, now is the time) and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Slice up, brew a cup of herbal tea and relaaaax…
Peace & Love,
Mrs T. xxx